Closing date: 12.11.21
An exciting opportunity to join our expanding team as a physician associate.
You will work across our 4 sites with a wide range of team members/professionals.
We are looking to recruit a Physician Associate to enhance our multidisciplinary team. We have been helping to train Physician Associate students over the past year and would like to embed graduates within our team. Support and supervision would be provided, and you would work alongside our doctors and advanced practitioners.
We need you to help develop our practice, to continue our delivery of quality care to our community, to support patients to enjoy life and to maintain the quality of our practice while exploring new horizons.
We are a large innovative and friendly practice in North Dorset who are big on development, invest in our team and are keen to create opportunities for career development through routes such as portfolio working and giving autonomy to take the lead and use initiative.
Main duties of the job
- As a PA you will be acting within your professional boundaries, providing care for patients from initial history taking, clinical assessment, diagnosis, treatment and evaluation of their care under the supervision of a GP. You will demonstrate safe, clinical decision-making and expert care for patients within the general practice multi-disciplinary team, in consultation with a GP.
- Practise in compliance with their respective code of professional conduct and within their scope of practice, being responsible and accountable for their decisions, actions and omissions at this level of practice.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of their broadened level of responsibility and autonomy and the limits of own competence and professional scope of practice, including when working with complexity, risk, uncertainty and incomplete information.
- Act on professional judgement about when to seek help, demonstrating critical reflection on own practice, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and openness to change.
As a partnership we have demonstrated our commitment to diversification from the traditional model, having both an advanced nurse practitioner and a manager as partners in our organisation.
We are passionate about giving all our team a voice and input into the way we work and provide care for our community. We are very fortunate to have a large MDT already and recognise the importance of a holistic approach to health care. We have been part of The Altogether Better Programme and now have a team of health champions and social prescribers which support this approach.
We are a fun-loving practice, looking for likeminded enthusiasts to come and join us and deliver healthcare embracing new models of care.
Located in a beautiful part of North Dorset, we enjoy excellent transport links, fantastic local schools (both state and private) and the coast is within easy reach for sailing, diving and outdoor pursuits.
This is a full-time post of 37.5 hours (Part will be considered). We are offering a salary range aligned to AfC band 6-7 depending on qualifications and experience plus NHS Pension.
For an informal chat please contact Sara Froud:
- Tel: 01258 474517
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Job title||Physician Associate in General Practice|
|Supervision||General supervision is received from the supervising GP(s)|
|Accountable to||Lead General Practitioner (GP)|
|Hours per week||37.5 / Full time or Part time: Permanent|
|Pay scale||Range aligned to AfC band 6-7 depending on qualifications and experience|
As a PA you will be acting within your professional boundaries, providing care for patients from initial history taking, clinical assessment, diagnosis, treatment and evaluation of their care under the supervision of a GP. You will demonstrate safe, clinical decision-making and expert care for patients within the general practice, and as appropriate, supervised by the Duty GP or a similar clinically senior colleague. You will work with the Multi-Disciplinary General Practice Team to support the delivery of policy and procedures and meet the needs of patients.
Mentorship and supervision will be provided by designated Senior Medical Personnel. The level and type of supervision will be dependent on the post holder’s skills and knowledge and determined by the organisation’s clinical governance arrangements. You will follow recommended annual appraisals and continuing professional development set out by the Faculty of Physician Associates (FPA).
Scope and Purpose of the Role
To deliver a high standard of patient care using advanced autonomous clinical skills with in-depth theoretical knowledge and evidence based practice working under the supervision of a GP.
To manage a clinical caseload and deal with presenting patient’s needs in a Primary Care setting.
To provide clinical leadership where appropriate within the practice and support other members of the team to develop and maintain clinical skills appropriate to your role and expertise.
Primary Duties & Areas of Responsibility
The post holder will under appropriate supervision:
- Provide first point of contact for patients presenting with undifferentiated, undiagnosed problems, utilising history taking, physical examination, problem-solving and clinical decision-making skills to establish a working diagnosis and management plan working in partnership with patients.
- Undertake as agreed consultations for emergency or routine problems including management of long term conditions. In addition, undertake telephone consultations/home visits and participate in duty rotas.
- Instigate necessary invasive and non-invasive diagnostic tests or investigations and interpret findings/reports within the scope of a PA’s practice. To review and act appropriately, discuss the result and implications of laboratory investigations with patients.
- Utilise clinical guidelines and promote evidence-based practice.
- Offer a Holistic Service to patients and their families, developing where appropriate an on-going plan of care-support with an emphasis on prevention and self-care.
- Refer patients directly to other services or agencies using appropriate referral pathways.
- Ensure safe handover of care within and outside the Practice as appropriate.
- Work directly with members of the Practice Primary Health Care Team and support integrated patient centred care through appropriate working with wider Primary Care/Social Care networks.
- Support the clinical teams with clinical administration in the management of the patients’ needs
- Identify Community Health needs and participate in the development of patient/family-centred strategies to address them.
- Contribute to the Practice quality targets to consistently achieve high standards of safe, evidence-based, cost-effective patient care and service delivery.
Training and Development
- Participate in continuing professional development opportunities to keep up-to-date with evidence-based knowledge and competence in all aspects of the role to meet clinical governance guidelines for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and a Personal Development Plan (PDP).
- Undertake a variety of research and analysis tasks associated with the improvement of clinical care, medical diagnosis and treatment where appropriate using the following means.
Audit of Clinical Practice
- Significant event review/root cause analysis.
- Review of relevant literature.
- Research unusual symptoms and treatment options through consultation with General Practitioners, physicians and other specialists.
- Promote and support a learning culture within the Practice and assist in clinical instruction, mentoring and supervision of Medical, Nursing or Physician Associate students and other learners that may periodically be attached to the Practice.
- Contribute to regular multi-disciplinary and/or Practice educational meetings.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary protocol and patient group directions (PGD’s) development as appropriate.
- Work closely with other clinical staff and administrative managers in the setting up and/or improving of practice systems for monitoring/measuring performance against Clinical Governance and Quality Indicator targets.
- Fully document all aspects of patient care and complete all required paperwork for legal and administrative purposes in accordance with relevant standards.
- Work in accordance with internal administrative systems relating to but not limited to the management of clinical data.
- Send and receive written information on behalf of the Practice relating to the physical and social welfare of patients.
- Work closely with the clinical staff and administrative managers in the setting up and/or improving of practice systems for monitoring/measuring performance against Clinical Governance and Quality Indicator targets and work to deliver the NHS contract pertinent to the Practice including the terms of the Quality and Outcomes Framework and locally enhanced services.
- Ensure that all Practice policies are fully implemented.
- Support, contribute to and participate in external inspections.
- Take the UK PA National Re-Certification Exam every six years – required for Physician Associates AND maintain your professional registration working within the latest Code of Conduct.
- Undertake statutory and mandatory training as required by the Practice.
- Demonstrate clinical leadership.
- Pro-actively promote the role of the PA within the practice and externally to key stakeholders and agencies.
- Respect patient confidentiality at all times and not divulge patient information unless sanctioned by the requirements of the role.
Health and Safety
- Comply at all times with the Practice Health and Safety policies by following agreed safe working procedures and reporting incidents using the organisations Incident Reporting System (IRS).
- Comply with the Data Protection Act (1984) and the Access to Health Records Act (1990).
Equality and Diversity
- Co-operate with all policies and procedures designed to support equality of employment. Co-workers, patients and visitors must be treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnic origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion etc.
Communication and Working Relationships
- Establish and maintain effective communication pathways with all practice staff and visiting clinical team members such as District Nurses, Modern Matrons, Health Visitors etc.
- This Job Description is intended to provide an outline of the key tasks and responsibilities. There may be other duties required of the post-holder commensurate with the position. The description will be open to regular review and may be amended to take into account developments within the Practice.
Our Commitment to You
- We will provide a supportive learning environment, especially structured in the first year.
- We will help you set out and revise specific educational goals.
- We will ensure appropriate clinical supervision.
- You will receive regular appraisals.
- You will be supported and financed to attend agreed CPD.
- We will develop a system to facilitate a smooth process for the management of signing off x-ray requests and prescriptions.
The Blackmore Vale Partnership are committed to maintaining an outstanding confidential service. Patients entrust and permit us to collect and retain sensitive information relating to their health and other matters pertaining to their care. They do so in confidence and have a right to expect all staff will respect their privacy and maintain confidentiality at all times.
Confidential and personal information related to staff, patients and the Practice must not be disclosed within or outside the place of work, except in the proper discharge of duties. It is the responsibility of all staff to be aware of their obligations in respect of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Access to Medical Reports Act 1988 and the Access to Health Records Act 1990 as outlined in the Practice Policy and Procedure
It is essential that, if the legal requirements are to be met and the trust of our patients is to be retained, all staff protect patient information and provide a confidential service.
Required or Desirable Qualities
- Dynamic/able to use own initiative
- IT literate and proficient use of Practice systems
- Good communicator
- Ability to teach others
- Good presentation skills
- Good problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to manage workload effectively
- A high standard of clinical skills and experience with the ability to adapt to different situations.
- Willingness to work in the best interest of the patient
- Team player with the ability to liaise effectively with colleagues and other members of the Multi-Disciplinary Team
- Ability to liaise effectively with hospitals and other outside agencies
- Must be a Member of the Faculty of Physician Associates at the RCP, which includes registration on the UK Physician Associate Register (the PA Managed Voluntary Register) until such time that statutory regulation of PA’s is achieved
- Current and valid certification or re-certification by the UK Physician Associate National Examination
- Maintains CPD requirements of 50 hours per year (25 Type 1 and 25 Type 2)
- DBS Check
- Previous experience in UK General Practice
- Other requirements – no history of or pending medical legal cases. Appropriate immigration status residence within a reasonable distance of work location
- Hold a driving licence and access to a vehicle for home visits
|Aptitudes Teaching and Training||
|Audit and Research||
|Practical and Personal Qualities||
This document may be amended following consultation with the post holder to facilitate the development of the role, the practice and the individual.
All personnel should be prepared to accept additional or surrender existing duties to enable the efficient running of the practice.
By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device. Find out about our cookies.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.