Click here to see our Wellbeing Team, more advice on Self-Help, support groups, local health information and much more.
Looking after yourself and loved ones this winter:
The winter months are a busy time for GP practices but it is important to us that we provide our patients with as many resources to keep warm and assist with managing conditions that can be dealt with at home.
Self care is all about promoting better health for your own personal needs, this can include:
- Taking vitamin D supplements, particularly important for those shielding and unable to go outside.
- Good nutrition and regular exercise to support general wellbeing and help maximize people’s immunity.
- Adopting positive lifestyle choices.
- Increasing health literacy levels in the community and in schools.
- Supporting mental wellness by keeping connected, ensuring a sense of perspective, and taking further steps to maintain health.
- Understanding how to manage minor and long term health conditions.
Getting the right help and services:
During the busy winter months there may be another service or healthcare professional that you can see to give you the support you need without contacting the Practice. Find the right service for your needs at Stay Well Dorset – NHS Dorset
Everyone has an important role to prevent illness and minor issues like coughs and colds, sore throats, or ear infections can be easily treated at home with medicines from your local pharmacy without needing an appointment or prescription.
Medicine cabinet essentials include:
- Pain relief (e.g. paracetamol, ibuprofen)
- Cough or sore throat remedies
- First aid kit (plasters, bandages, antiseptic wipes)
- Oral rehydration salts
- Heartburn and indigestion treatment
- A thermometer
Stocking up on these essentials will not only help you feel better sooner and save you time, but also help the NHS save much needed resources.
Links and resources to local services that could help this winter:
Winter in Dorset 2023 – Winter in Dorset is designed to bring high quality, accessible and affordable activities over the Christmas holidays to children and young people who go to school in Dorset.
Lendology | Local Council Home Loans | Your Community Lender – Home improvement loans for homeowners, funded by the local council. Lending decisions are powered by partnerships and people, enriching homes and lives through affordable finance.
Dorset Home Upgrade Grant – Improve your property’s energy performance, tackle the cost of living and help reduce carbon emissions. Click the link to see more information.
Winter Services and Activities – Please follow this link to find a range of support being offered across Dorset with things like food, activities, companionship, internet access and much more.
LiveWell Dorset | Health & Wellness Coaching | Free Advice & Support – Self referral to Health and Wellness coaching sessions for things like weight loss, quitting smoking, reducing alcohol and getting active.
Conditions that can often be managed with Self-Care:
For further advice around Self-Care contact:
The Wellbeing Team
- Call 01747 856786
- Email: [email protected]