THE BLACKMORE VALE PARTNERSHIP
Patient Service Care Co-Ordinator
Patient Service Care Co-Ordinator Team Leader
The Blackmore Vale Partnership surgeries – Shaftesbury, Sturminster Newton & Marnhull
Permanent / Flexible
Hours per week
Full Time / Part time
- To provide a point of contact for patients and act as a focal point of communication between patients, doctors and other practice staff. To ensure that accurate and appropriate patient information collected and maintained.
- To offer general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
- Receive, assist, and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient, and effective way.
- Undertake a variety of administrative duties to assist in the smooth running of the practice including the provision of clerical support to clinical staff and other members of the practice team.
- Facilitate effective communication between patients, members of the primary health care team, secondary care, and other associated Healthcare agencies.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
As First point of contact for the Practice you should enjoy working with the general public and dealing with their enquiries, excellent customer service skills are therefore essential. The role includes but is not limited to; answering phones, navigating patients to the correct service/appointments, manning front desk, scanning, prescriptions, and other administrative tasks requested by the GP’s/ Managers.
Telephone Duties (we take 350 or more calls a day)
- Process telephone requests for appointments, visits and telephone consultations and ensure callers are directed to the appropriate healthcare professional.
- To answer the practice telephone line alongside your colleagues ensuring the lines are covered amongst the team from 8:00am-18:30pm daily.
- Answer the telephone promptly, deal with incoming queries, divert them as appropriate and\or take and pass on messages via email\task or in person, ensuring the message gets to the recipient promptly.
- Initiate contact with and respond to requests from patients, other team members and associated healthcare agencies and providers.
- Maintain and monitor the practice appointments system.
- Deal with urgent phone calls as per Practice guidelines.
- Take messages and relay information to the appropriate member of staff.
Front Desk Duties
- Process personal requests for appointments, visits and telephone consultations and ensure patients are directed to the appropriate healthcare professional.
- Direct visitors to the correct place, ensuring they sign the visitor’s book on arrival and departure.
- Maintain and monitor the practice appointments system using the computer.
- Process repeat and acute prescription requests from patients, Pharmacies and online in accordance with practice guidelines.
- Register patients for on-line services.
- Take in parcels, log in book, inform and deliver to the relevant person.
- Take in urine and other samples and deliver to the appropriate place.
- Deal appropriately with any forms handed in by patients.
- Keep the reception and administration area tidy and free from obstructions and clutter.
- Record blood pressure readings on the patient’s notes, dealing with any high readings as per Practice protocol.
- Hand out any correspondence to the patients. Collect any money (cheque or cash) from patients for services provided, issuing receipts, and recording on the computer.
- Maintain and monitor the practice appointments system.
- Register new patients and temporary patients on the computer, making sure all the relevant paperwork is completed and new patient appointments are made.
- Provide clerical assistance to Practice staff, including photocopying and scanning.
- Provide an efficient scanning service.
- Update patient’s personal details on the computer.
- Process repeat and acute prescription requests from patients,
- Computer data entry/data allocation and collation, plus processing and recording of information in accordance with Practice procedures.
While seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately.
In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carer’s, practice staff and other healthcare workers.
They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential.
Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice health & safety policy to include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines.
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks.
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills.
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards.
- Actively reporting health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised.
- Undertaking periodic infection control training (minimum annually)
- Reporting potential risks identified.
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers, and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation.
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers, and colleagues.
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members.
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers.
- Recognize people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development.
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk.
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance.
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs.
- Effectively manage own time, workload, and resources.
Contribution to the implementation of services
The post-holder will:
- Apply practice policies, standards, and guidance.
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work.
- Participate in audit where appropriate.
This document may be amended following consultation with the post holder, to facilitate the development of the role, the practice, and the individual. All personnel should be prepared to accept additional, or surrender existing duties, to enable the efficient running of the practice.
Job Types: Full time / Part-time, Permanent
Salary: £21,352.56- £23,796.76 pro rata
- Company pension
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Sturminster Newton, Shaftesbury & Marnhull: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Full Driving Licence (required)
Permanent or Flexible Contract for Up to 30 Hours a week
Closing date for applications : 27.11.23
Previous Applicants need not apply.